Monday, February 4, 2013

Moms are not meant to be sick...

Friday the 25th of January the kids and I were hanging out with my siblings at my parents house since Dustin was playing some games with friends.  After dinner Alissa said she didn't feel well and ran to the bathroom to throw up.  That night the two of us got only a few hours of sleep because she was up all night uncomfortable and sick.  This continued and she ate nothing for 2 full days.  I finally took her to Community Care where they tested her for influenza, RSV, said she had an ear infection and wanted to run blood to check for appendicitis as well as give her a shot of antibiotic for the ear infection.  I didn't feel good about any of them and decided I would call our family doctor and give her another 24 hours.
 
He told me it sounded like Rotavirus and give her 3-5 days.  On day 4 I had enough and with tears took her into Dr. Baker to make sure it truly was Rotavirus and we weren't missing something.  She was getting so thin, was so weak that she couldn't even stand up and didn't even make any efforts to stand up or move.  She wouldn't even play the Ipod which is pretty bad.  Dustin and my dad gave her a blessing on Monday night and when I took her into Dr. Baker the next day he examined her well and said it really was a stomach flu virus and she was ok.  Just give her time.
 
Sure enough, the next day she was feeling better.  Throughout this week Molly had been sick for a night so I had 2 of the kids on the couch sleeping between my legs or wherever we could find room.  Ella had also got sick and the day I took her in I got sick for 2 days.  Finally Thursday I thought everybody was feeling better and Ella called from school because she had thrown up.  Friday I kept everybody home to recover.
 
It was a long, long week of sickness.  Thankfully Dustin had a lot of commitments that week so he didn't have to come home much and was able to avoid our sickness.  After laying around for 2 days I was reminded how aweful it would be to be a sick mommy all of the time or even often.  I rarely ever get sick and I am so grateful and realize good health is such a blessing.  I am so grateful I can care for my family and for others and that we have healthy kids too.
 
When it was all said and done I was so grateful for this new vinyl I got on my laundry room wall.  "I am thankful for the piles of laundry because it means my loved ones are near."  Because I had a LOT of laundry!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment