Monday, February 4, 2013

The Accident that Dustin was NOT involved in...

A few weeks back I was doing hair and as I was finishing up I noticed my phone ringing.  I saw it was my grandma so I thought to myself, "I will call her back."  Dustin's phone was sitting next to mine and soon his was ringing and again it was grandma.  Within only a few minutes my mom came busting through the door and it was obvious to me that something was wrong. 

Within just a minute the lady had left and my mom said, "Sit down."  She proceeds to ask me if Dustin had driven to work that day.  I didn't know the answer to that because he drives to the bus stop every day and occasionally misses the bus and drives to work.  I don't keep tabs on if he drove or not.  She encouraged me to quickly call him and find out.  So I called him, he answered and as my mom hears me talking to him she gives and obvious sign of relief.  He tells us he didn't drive out and he is fine at work.  So after hanging up the phone my mom tells me part of this crazy story and my grandma and grandpa show up within minutes to finish the story.

That morning a man had called my grandma crying saying he had been upset and was looking down while he was driving to work and hit a lady and was unsure if she was going to make it.  Aparently he incenuated that he was being held in custody and needed help because he didn't know waht to do.  My grandpa got on the line and said, "This is Dennis Bateman a retired police officer, how can I help?"  The call dropped.  My grandma paniced and they notified EVERYBODY - the jail, police department, my uncle is a detective there and he was working on it, my dad had been over to the police station, my mom was frantic and grandma and grandpa had been at the police station.  Nobody knew anything that was going on or where Dustin was.. but they didn't call me.  As soon as they found out Dustin was at work they realized it had been a scam and that person had played a horrible trick on grandma.  The guy on the phone asked, "You don't know who this is do you?"  and grandma replied, "Dustin".  At that point on his name was Dustin.  Grandpa said they play this scam to try to get bond money sent to them but they called the wrong person.

It was so crazy that I didn't know anything was even going on and they were sitting in my living room making all these calls saying, "I'm calling regarding the accident Dustin Braithwaite was involved in this morning.  It was a scam."  ???  Crazy.

Made me happy that should anything happen my family would be all over it but a little worried that they wouldn't call me if something happened to Dustin. :)  Pretty sad joke they played but pretty funny for us to laugh at now.

No comments:

Post a Comment