Tuesday, March 13, 2012

My Big Reader

Back in the beginning of the school year Ella's teacher encouraged us to start reading chapter books but Ella just had no desire to read them.  She liked the pictures way too much in the other books.  A good friend of ours let us borrow a few of her books that her girl was interested in during 1st grade and Ella read a few of them with me but still didn't spark much interest for it.

Last summer I had picked up these little Rainbow Fairy books from a garage sale for $1 and she started to read those and loved them.  In January we got a little note sent home that she was reading at a 2.7 reading level so I knew she could handle them plenty well.  We only had 6 books though so one Sunday afternoon inspiration hit!  I looked up the public library and showed her all the Rainbow Fairy books available there (there are a LOT) and we reserved a few for her.  When we went to the library and found the section where they were she was in heaven!  She chose 5 books along with about 20 other picture books and we checked them out.  Within the week she was done and had taken AR tests on her chapter books. 

This week we headed to the library for another dose of Rainbow Fairies and she picked out 7 books and within a day she is starting her 3 book.  You will find her in the living room... on the couch...

 in the car..  sitting on a table..
sitting in the swing,

and most often in her bed READING!


I'm grateful she has found a love for reading and hope the desire continues to be strong because I know it will benefit her greatly.  She is our little smartie pants girl!  Just love her!  Thank you Daisy Meadows for writing such interesting girly books.


Ella's school had a "Eat with your Parents Day" at school today.  Mom kindly volunteered to watch the girls while I went and ate lunch with Ella.  She loves it when I come which is fun.  I ate lunch with her and then played recess with the kids.  This is Ella's BFF this year Brennady Jensen.


And while I'm posting about school I figured I'd add this in because I wanted it in our scrapbook somewhere.  This is Ella's principal duct taped to the wall in the lunch room.  The school had a Read A Thon back at the beginning of the year and if the school met a reading goal he agreed to let them tape him to the wall.  The student in each grade that read the most got to add a piece of tape.  The students were so pumped about it.  What a good principal and a great school.  I'm sure it is something Ella will always remember. 

No comments:

Post a Comment