Sunday, August 28, 2011

My Garden

I always thought it would be fun to have a garden when I got all grown up.  We tried a garden for the past 2 years, but it has always been just ok.  This year has been different.  I can tell you why, it's the first summer we have lived here and I haven't been pregnant!  Low energy, hard to bend over and too hot outside!!  This year I have checked on the garden almost on a daily basis.  I roam through it (more like step, it's pretty little) and just delight in it's growth.  Sounds dumb I know.  My smart husband had an idea to lay weed barrier this year though too.  We laughed as we laid it down thinking we were the only people lazy enough to put weed barrier in the garden.  Since then we have heard of multiple other families that do it.  It cost like $10 with an Ace rebate to do our whole garden - well worth the time it has saved us.

Here is what I have been oogling:
Our radishes have come and gone, but were way hot so nobody really ate them.

Our corn which is now taller than me :)  Haven't got to pick any yet though.

Tomatoes which I am waiting to turn red.  I planted WAY too many too.


We had like 2 pea vines come up.  I'm not sad about it though.  I'd rather pay $1 for a bag of peas rather than spend HOURS podding all of those dang peas just to get that $1 worth.  Lazy huh?  Dustin likes to eat them fresh so we grow a few for him.

 
My first time growing zucchini.  It's been a blast!  I pull a zucchini off almost every other day and it makes me just grin!  I have been able to share lots, freeze lots and eat lots.  Couldn't be better.


I just picked my first cucumber yesterday, but there are MANY more blooms waiting to become delicious cucumbers.  Again, makes me so happy.
Carrots:  We planted just enough.  Every other year I planted way too many carrots or maybe that's the only thing that produced so I got sick of them?

I am growing onions too, not sure if they are going to produce.  They are still pretty small.  I need to research these a little better.  Maybe I am planting them too late.

Last but certainly not least, my favorite strawberry plants.  I only planted 2 little plants, but they have produced at least 15 berries.  I am going to save these little plants and plant more of them next year.  They really are so great and the bloom is so cute.
So that is that, our summer 2011 garden.  It's been so much fun for me, I think I will do it again next year as well as not be pregnant :)

No comments:

Post a Comment