Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Day 9 in the NICU

This morning when I went in to see little Lincoln they gave me the report that he did well all night.  No real spitting and was doing 50% of his feeding through the bottle all night.  Apparently when they were changing his diaper he peed all over his too small onesie and was now naked so I brought some clothes to put him in to help him stay warm.


I was able to nurse him and he did a full 9 minutes without unlatching and then another 7 so I was excited to see that progress!  I had pumped only an hour before I went in because every attempt we have made to nurse up to this point has lasted only 5 minute max so I am sure I didn't have sufficient milk for him this morning.  They consider 15 minutes of nursing a full feed for him, however I could tell he wasn't full so they gave him another 10 ml through the bottle.  I still don't think he was satisfied though.  It made it particularly hard to leave him.  They will only allow 30 minutes for feeding because they don't want him to burn more calories than he is getting.  It's frustrating for me, but my only choice is to trust them.

He lost a tiny bit of weight which is no good because he has to do his full feedings and gain weight now in order for him to come home.  Praying it's soon!!

They moved him into a Continued Care Room which just means he's one step closer to coming home.

1 comment:

  1. He is so cute!!!! I can see so much of Dustin in him. I am so happy for little Lincoln. He is going to be home before you know it.

    ReplyDelete