Thursday, April 3, 2014

Day 11 in the NICU

We had a terrific morning in the NICU! (well.. as terrific as terrific can get in the NICU :))  Lincoln nursed for about 7 minutes and then ate over 80% of his bottle through his mouth so they counted it as a 100% feeding through his mouth!!  YAY little buddy!  He also gained 1.5 oz!   His average feeding over yesterday came back at about 62% which was up about 10% from the day before so I was hoping today would be a 75-80% day so we could bring him home soon.  I was so happy about that 100% feeding.

Dustin took the day off to help me be available to do more feedings at the hospital and came with me for 3 of the 5.  We took this picture to send to his brother of him carrying milk into the hospital because I once told him that his sister in law made these delicious cookies with breast milk - like it was her secret ingredient and he just about freaked out.  This is when they had a baby and we had no kids.  We laugh about it now.  It was nice to have a laugh that morning.


It's funny as I sat there this morning trying to force feed this baby boy I couldn't help but think that one day he is going to be eating a whole box of cereal in one sitting and eating us out of house and home.  It made me smile.  I will always remember the day that I force fed him 2 oz of milk.  he he


The nurse said we will try to get his feedings up to 75-80% today, take his feeding tube out tomorrow morning and put him through the car seat/oxygen test (he has to keep his stats high for 1.5 hours in a car seat) and watch him for another 24 hours before sending him home.  They observed that he eats better for me.  My personal opinion is that I try to get him to eat a lot harder than they try.  Now that we are in "Motel 8" each nurse has 4 babies to take care of so they don't get special treatment anymore.  So I have been into the hospital every 3 hours today trying to get him to eat.  I will be there first thing tomorrow with my duffle bag ready to stay 24 hours and then bring this baby boy home!! 


We are getting pretty anxious today!  Or I guess I am.. it's getting so close and I cannot wait for the girls to meet their little brother.


I have been so blessed to have such good friends and family here during this time.  My ward brought dinner again last night and tonight and tomorrow night as we struggle through this last stretch.  They brought dinner 4 nights last week as well.  My mom has been filling in all the gaps making sure nothing is too difficult. :)  Sure do love her and all she does for us.  So many of my friends have been taking the kids for a couple hours while I run to the hospital and then again mom covers all the gaps which is a majority of the visits.  I just have been humbled by the generosity and goodness of people around us.  I hope and pray I can pay it forward and always serve others in need.

Mom and dad visited us that night and got to hold him.  This little dude is so lucky to have such good grandparents on both sides of the family.  All the family was rooting and praying for him to get better.


I'm pretty sure he knew that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment