Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Day 10 in the NICU

This little guy gets cuter every single day! He must be a morning person like his mom cause every morning he seems to make big improvement and seems to get a little more lazy as the day goes on.  They warned me that white baby boys are lazy and I am starting to believe it.

I have felt so anxious to her this little guy home the past 2 days.  They moved us to the continued care room and it was like going from the Hampton to Motel 8.  1 nurse for every 5 babies and stuffed in a corner with only a chair and the bed.  No real privacy unless you stretch the curtain around you.  But you hear all the conversations going on in the room.   It was a rough day yesterday trying to come to grips with that change.  Makes me want to pack my bags and move in with him.

Today Lincoln gained a half ounce and went from 38 to 46% of his feedings.  This morning he did 80% out if the bottle an I wanted to give him a celebration party!  So happy for improvements.  Now we have to hope he continues that throughout the day.

I breast fed him yesterday morning and got frustrated by the nurse who told me he had I stop because he had done his 15 minutes which they considered a full feed.  It was obvious he was still hungry but they are the boss of you in here.  Grr.. Spent a good time crying about that too. Ripped my heart out to leave him awake and rooting in his silly bed.  I finally decided to go with straight bottles  with breast milk until he gets home so I don't get frustrated with this situation every day and I can see that he actually gets full.  He showed me he will breast feed with a little practice so I feel better about the situation.  I think we will get him out faster this way too.

I love the time we get to have in the mornings when he is wide awake and giving smiles and other silly faces.  Just makes my heart happy!

I got thinking last night about what I should be learning from this situation.  It is a rotten feeling to be so helpless. 

 I quickly realized I need to have more compassion toward others in hard and harder situations.  The people that have reached out to us have lightened our burden so much!

There are many situations in life that we have no control over.  I have to turn it over to The Lord to carry me through with my faith in Him and His plan.

I have to trust those taking care of my baby and rather than criticize I have to find ways to thank and serve them to make my heart happy.

So grateful for modern technology for keeping my baby alive.  He is such a blessing to our family already.

It is vital that we have the spirit in our homes and in our hearts so The Lord can communicate peace and understanding. I have pushed this pretty hard at home this week and feel a difference in the way the kids are behaving and talking to each other.  Not perfectly, but better.

Praying and hoping for a good day!

NIGHT TIME FEEDING -  We got to give Lincoln a bath tonight at his 8:30 pm feeding.  He didn't like it so much as he did the first one.  I think dad has the magic touch.




No comments:

Post a Comment