Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Faith

It's funny - a few weeks back I started writing this post titled "Faith".  A few weeks later I get asked to give a 10-15 minute talk on Faith.  I felt like I had a head start which made me happy.  So here is the part I wanted to include in the post and the bold part at the bottom is my talk.

My family will often comment that Heavenly Father always answers my prayers and if they really need a prayer answered will say, "Have Jessica and Ella pray for it."  I think I am just more open to share my experiences or more activley asking for more from Heavenly Father.  Maybe I give Him more credit than some would?  I never feel like what I am asking for is trivial.  Some people say that we should figure things out for ourselves rather than ask for help with small things.  My opinion is that if it is important enough to you to ask Heavenly Father for help with it, it is important to Him.  However I also know that they don't really need me to ask for it.  He will answer them just as much as me. 

So about 4 weeks ago I lost $130 of haircutting/product money.  That week I had made a trip to the supply house and spent $130 buying product for people and supplies to do hair so I was counting on the income to pay myself back.  I was sick about it and looked everywhere I could think of and in the unlogical places like the garbage can and around the fence.  I prayed about it every day and even promised the Lord I would donate some of it to Dustin's nephew serving a mission if he would help me find it.  Dustin tried to make me feel better by saying a homeless person found it and needed it much more than us.  After hearing that Ella decided we needed to stop praying to find it and let them have it.  :) 

1 week from the day I lost the money my neighbor (a 15 year old boy) showed up with $60.  Earlier in the week I told his mom I lost the money  because $30 was a check from her and the rest was cash.  While weeding around their yard that day, he found $60 in cash on their thistles and in their window well and he knew it belonged to me.  Soon after returning the $60, he brought me a new $30 check from his mom too.  I felt like the right thing to do was to reward him with $20 for his honesty and courage in bringing it back.  I was thrilled!

Exactly 1 week later while doing hair, Ella comes into the house with a crinkly $20 bill and holding it up prouding says, "Mom!  Look what I found!"

And just in case that doesn't come in loud and clear... one more week passes by.  We left to go camping for 6 days and when I come home, there is a crinkly and faded $30 check from my neighbor that somebody had found and returned to my doorstep.  Incredible!

Alma 32:42 And because of your a
diligence and your faith and your patience with the word in nourishing it, that it may take root in you, behold, by and by ye shall pluck the bfruit thereof, which is most precious, which is sweet above all that is sweet, and which is white above all that is white, yea, and pure above all that is pure; and ye shall feast upon this fruit even until ye are filled, that ye hunger not, neither shall ye thirst.
43 Then, my brethren, ye shall areap the brewards of your faith, and your diligence, and patience, and long-suffering, waiting for the tree to bring forth cfruit unto you.

Hooray for an answered prayer!

Marvin J. Ashton shared a story in the February 1994 Ensign about Elder Hugh B. Brown.  Before he left on a mission, his mother told him:

“Hugh, you remember when you were a little boy and you would have a bad dream or wake up in the night frightened? You would call from your room, ‘Mother, are you there?’ and I would answer and try to comfort you and remove your fears. Now as you go on a mission and out into the world, there will be times when you will be frightened, when you feel weak, inadequate, alone, and have problems. I want you to know that you can call to your Heavenly Father as you used to call to me and say, ‘Father, are you there? I need your help.’ Do this with the knowledge that He is there and that He will be ready to help you if you will do your part and live worthy of your blessings. I want to reassure you that He is there and will answer your prayers and needs for your best good”

It is a scary world we live in.  It is unstable and uncertain.  There are unreliable people, jobs and the media.  A family member recently expressed frustration that his boss didn't pay him as promised after multiple days of work.  We hear of teachers and other trusting examples that end up not being so trustworthy after all.  It is hard for us to know who and what to trust. 

However, part of the reason we are here on earth is for personal growth.  And trial allows opportunity for growth and increased faith.  What child could ever grow to be self supporting in maturity were all the critical decisions made by parents?  So it is with our wise Heavenly Father.  His plan of happiness is designed so that we will have struggles and difficulties where decisions of great importance must be made so that we can grow, develop and succeed.   

Ether 12:27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness.  I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

As members of the church we are so very blessed to have a stable example, a perfect example where we can focus our faith and never be let down.  If we can focus our faith on Him, the example of our Savior Jesus Christ will never lead us astray.  I know this to be true. 

What is Faith?

In Alma 32  we are taught that faith is like a seed.

21 And now as I said concerning faith—afaith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye bhope for things which are cnot seen, which are true.

26 Now, as I said concerning faith—that it was not a perfect knowledge—even so it is with my words. Ye cannot know of their surety at first, unto perfection, any more than faith is a perfect knowledge.

27 But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than adesire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words.

28 Now, we will compare the word unto a aseed. Now, if ye give place, that a bseed may be planted in your cheart, behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed, if ye do not cast it out by your dunbelief, that ye will resist the Spirit of the Lord, behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts; and when you feel these swelling motions, ye will begin to say within yourselves—It must needs be that this is a good seed, or that the word is good, for it beginneth to enlarge my soul; yea, it beginneth to eenlighten my funderstanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me.

As a child attending Primary and Young Womens and Sunday School, having home teachers visit our home regularly and my mom allowing me to sit with her as her visiting teachers taught her, a seed was planted in my heart.  I began to experiment upon the words I was hearing and it wasn't more than a few times that I noticed the Lord very clearly bless me according to my small and simple desire.   It was that experiment that helped me develop and anchor my faith which has since helped me through harder and more difficult trials and decisions.

It is most pleasing to me now as I watch the seed of faith sprout within Ella.  Her example often teaches me.  We were in a different church building a few weeks back and as we were leaving she remembered she had forgot something.  I sent her after it alone and after a couple of minutes I went in to see what had distracted her.  As I glanced down the hall I could see her in the corner with her forehead resting against the white brick wall, arms folded tightly pleading with the Lord to help her find her way out of this foreign building.  As I called for her she has never been so excited to see me.  She has had the opportunity to see evidence that her Father in Heaven loves her and answers her prayers. 

Moroni taught "Faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith." 

A good example for me to relate to is our kids.  They will ask over and over and over for a cookie an hour before dinner.  Begging and promising that they will eat their dinner.  Because you know that is not the right thing for them right now, you say no.  Not right now.  But they want it so badly and think they know best and this is what they need. 

I think we can be like this with our Heavenly Father.  Asking him for things we greatly desire or trying to deny the promptings we have received to do something we are not comfortable with.  He knows best.  He will respond with what in His eternal plan is best for you.

Richard G. Scott said, "Even if you exercise your strongest faith, God does not always reward you immediately according to your desires.  Sincere faith gives you understanding and strength to accept the will of our Heavenly Father when it differs from our own.  We can accept His will with peace and assurance, confident that His infinite wisdom surpasses our own ability to comprehend fully His plan as it unfolds a piece at a time.

Why worry about future calamities or uncertainties with which you have no control?  When challenges and testing come, your faith will lead you to solutions.  Right will ultimately prevail.  It is always comforting to know that God will never try you more than you can manage with His help.  No matter what trials and tribulations come, we have a loving Heavenly Father to turn to for help.

How can we increase our faith?
There is a lot to learn from our pioneer ancestors about sacrifice.

In the year 1843 LDS missionaries came to the Braithwaite home.  Hannah, the mother, was the first to accept the gospel.  She was baptized and confirmed in April that same year.  Two months later her husband Rowland was also baptized.  Like many converts their desire was to go to America and a fund was started for this purpose.  Rowland died 9 years later and the money saved had to be used.
After their father's death, the boys felt it might be best for them to remain in England, but Hannah lived with but one great aim in view, and that was to get her family to Zion.  When reminded of the sacrifices this move would entail, her answer was always, "I shall take my family to Zion if I 'ave not but a box to sit upon."  Every effort was made by her for this; and after nine years of praying and working, her son Robert was sent to America.  In June of 1863 Hannah's struggle was rewarded and she and her daughter and sons set sail for America.  It was October of the same year that they arrived in Manti, Utah.  Their few possessions were brought by wagon, but the family walked most of the way.  Over a thousand miles.  No task was too hard if it was for the church.  Hannah never complained over any hardship but always felt she was one of the fortunate few to have her family in Zion.

Their faith was the reason the pioneers would leave behind their home, family, farms and sometimes even their family members to journey into an unknown wilderness.  With firm faith in God and their leaders the early pioneers kept their focus on the ultimate goal.  They had to face tremendous hardships and their faith was tried, but their testimonies were anchored.
In the church we are often asked to make sacrifices today.  Our commitment to the kingdom should match that of our faithful ancestors even though our sacrifices are different.  They may be more subtle but no less demanding.  Instead of physical deprivation and hardship, we are asked to sacrifice time away from our families to home and visit teach and sometimes serve in a calling.  Many times we are asked to volunteer for service opportunities such as the Ruth House, Stake Garden or cleaning the church.  We are asked to sacrifice money to pay tithing and fast offerings.  These sacrifices test our individual faith.  We must continue sacrificing and serving with no thought of reward.  We do it out of love and gratitude for the Lord, to whom we owe everything. 

Moroni 7: 37 for it is by faith that amiracles are wrought; and it is by faith that angels appear and minister unto men; wherefore, if these things have ceased wo be unto the children of men, for it is because of bunbelief, and all is vain.

Pray to Heavenly Father. 
I testify that he will help you.  He will strengthen you faith if you sincerely desire it.

Moroni 10:4 if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you.
D & C 8:10 Remember that without faith you can do nothing; therefore ask in faith.
But we must do more than just ask for help.  We are told in the scriptures James 2:17 that "faith, if it hath not works, is dead" 

We must test it.  We have to experiment upon the words.   
1 Nephi 7:12  Yea, and how is it that ye have forgotten that the Lord is able to do all things according to his will, fo r the children of men, if it so be that they exercise faith in him?  Wherefore, let us be faithful to him.

We can learn from Matthew 9 a woman who had been diseased for 12 years came behind Jesus and with great faith said, 'If I may but touch his garment, I shall be whole."  When Jesus turned and saw her, he said, "Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole."  And the woman was made whole from that hour. 

Luke 18 tells the account of a certain blind man in Jericho who came to the Savior and cried saying, "Jesus, thou Son of David, have mercy on me."  Jesus stood, and commanded him to be brought unto him; and when he was come near, he asked him, saying, what wilt thou thou that I shall do unto thee?  And he said, "Lord, that I may receive my sight."  And Jesus said unto him, "Receive thy sight; thy faith hath saved thee."  And immediately he received his sight, and followed him, glorifying God;

I love these examples of faith. 

Julie is an example of faith to me.  She understands that His infinite wisdom surpasses our own ability and hopes for a better day.

With consistent  practice, faith will become a powerful, uplifting force in your life.

No matter what occurs, no matter how topsy - turvy the world becomes, you can always have the sustaining power of faith.  That will never change.  The perfect love of your Heavenly Father will never change.  His gospel plan gives our lives meaning.  I have a testimony of these things.  I have a testimony of a living prophet Thomas S Monson who leads our church today.  I have faith in his ability to receive revelation and guide us as members of the church. 

I pray that we may all be humble and allow the Lord to strengthen our faith to face this world of uncertainty and so that we may all return to Him one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment