Thursday, February 16, 2012

Girls Weekend in Utah

My mom, sister and I have been planning this awesome weekend in Utah for about a month.  We were to leave on Friday morning and come back Saturday night.  As luck would have it Dustin came home from work sick on Thursday.  He was super sick: body aches, fever, super sore throat, headache, the works!  Alissa had strep a week earlier so thankfully the doctor was able to just call him in some amoxicillin.  I was determined to get him better in time to leave so I picked up his medicine on my way to go get him at the bus stop and brought along some ibuprofen and started him on the meds as soon as he got in the car.  From there I was waking him up every 4 hours to keep him on ibuprofen and Tylenol.   We were also blessed to have our good home teachers come by and give him a blessing which he needed for more reasons than illness.  He has been so very stressed with work, his calling in the Elders quorum and a lack of sleep.  I know this lifted his spirit to have the priesthood administered to him.

When Friday morning came he still wasn't feeling well but knew how much I wanted to go so he toughed it out and off I went.  It made me cry to leave.. but I really felt like everything would be ok. 

On our way Heidi and I bought our first lottery tickets at a random gas station.  $.25 each so we bought 4 and guess what?  I WON!  Yay.. it was a quarter so I put it back in and lost it. :)
We drove to Logan where we stopped and saw my dear friend Heidi Baxter.  This girl is so amazing, I just love her!  It was so good to visit for a few minutes.

We made a few shopping stops in Logan and then headed to Salt Lake where mom found T&T Salon and treated us to a deluxe pedicure.  UHHH... It.was.so.nice!  Why can't I do that every week? 
My feet in paraffin wax.
The finished product.  We even had a little design on our toes!

Then we drove about 30 minutes all over looking for Target or Walmart.  When finally we found one and Heidi and I wore these awesome foam flip flops into the store and embarrassed mom.  I don't think she was too embarrassed by this though...
Yes that is me.  I am letting the air dryer in the bathroom disfigure my face.  Do you ever get the urge to do that?  I seemed like a good time.  It's ok to laugh, I do look ridiculous.

We got to have dinner at PF Chang's.  I had never been there so it was fun to experience it.  We ate lettuce wraps, broccoli and beef and honey chicken.  It was tasty.

Our motel was just a few doors down.  We stayed at the Peery Hotel which Heidi insists is haunted.  She pointed out the ripped curtains and the window was cracked open so she just knew somebody was trying to commit suicide in there.  It is a super old motel that creeks and the elevator moans, but it was just fine.  I went to sleep in seconds, just happy to have some uninterrupted sleep for a night.

We woke up at 5am to head over to the Salt Lake Temple and baptize 16 deceased family members that grandma found needed the work done.   It was a super amazing experience.  The Salt Lake Temple baptismal font is beautiful and as I watched my sister and mom get baptized my heart was so full.  I am really so blessed to have an opportunity like that and to have such a great relationship with these two amazing women.  I felt blessed to be a member of the church and have the fullness of the gospel and a testimony of it.  As I always do in the temple I felt an overwhelming love from God.  I know I am his daughter and the work we do in the temple is so vitally important. 





After walking around temple square for a while we headed to Layton, Clearfield and Ogden for some more quick shopping stops and then back home to the grind.  I must admit I get so anxious for a little "get away" and then quickly miss my normal routine.  Every time I saw a mom with a little kid I just wanted to kiss my kids soft little cheeks and squeeze them!  I was happy to come home and see that my kids missed me, but I dare say my husband missed me most.  He was so relieved to have me home and said he has a deeper love and appreciation for me and what I do.  I knew he would. :)  I love him and am so thankful to him for the service he rendered to me.  What a fantastic birthday present!  SO FUN!

I am also so very thankful for my mom and sister for being such great company and making this trip possible.  There isn't another bunch of women I'd rather hang out with.  They are 2 of my best friends!  Can't wait for next year when we can do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment