Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Keep on Going

I have a few other posts I should be putting on her first, but this is what is on my mind right now and blogging about it seems like it will help.

For the past year I have had the opportunity to serve as the Preparedness Coordinator in the Relief Society in our ward.  I am NOT even close to an expert in preparedness but I do have an interest in it which has served me well.  I was given this calling with only one piece of direction, "Pray about it and you will know what to do."  I did nothing for the first probably 2 months because I became overwhelmed with where to start.  Since then our ward has worked on: car kits, 72 hour kits, going to the cannery, budgeting, learning CPR, writing a will & trust, storing water, how to shut power & water off, emergency binders.  It has been a big eye opener and I have learned a lot of things and become quite a bit more prepared than I was 1 year ago.

As of October 1 the Government has been "shut down" and has not funded many government jobs.  Unfortunately Dustin's job is one of them and counting our blessings that they had overage from the past fiscal year so he is still currently working but likely only until next week unless this situation gets resolved sooner.  I'm sure being pregnant doesn't help the situation but I spent a good amount of time crying yesterday after I heard the news that it would likely be next week for us.  Way sooner than I would have liked.  He and I have both been in a bit of a panic mode as we try to cancel any unnecessary monetary obligations today so we can be prepared to pinch our pennies for however long this lasts. 

Thankfully we have never been in this situation before and are also grateful it is going to only be a temporary (and hopefully super short) period of time.  I am also so thankful for the past year of preparation and learning I have had.  I feel like this has greatly prepared me for what is to come.

As I talked to my sister in law Cindy about this situation (her husband was laid off a few years ago for a few months) she reminded me that it is easy to get caught up in the "wallowing in our sorrows" and that if we will do our best to change the focus to finding opportunities to serve others we will forget, even just a little bit, our own troubles and worries.  She also told me to always think about getting THROUGH this not letting it STOP you.  This is only something we have to get through and we will be better from what we learned from this.  She reminded me that we really are in a "good" situation with food storage, savings account and little debt.  It was super great advice and seriously helped my attitude so much.

The Lord will bless us.  I know that.  He always does when we do our part.  I will do my best to get through this with faith and service as my motto and PRAY that it doesn't last long. :)

About 3 weeks ago I felt inspired to write this hymn down.  I gives my mind peace today.

How Gentle God's Commands

  1. How gentle God's commands!
    How kind his precepts are!
    Come, cast your burdens on the Lord
    And trust his constant care.
  2. Beneath his watchful eye,
    His Saints securely dwell;
    That hand which bears all nature up
    Shall guard his children well.
  3. Why should this anxious load
    Press down your weary mind?
    Haste to your Heav'nly Father's throne
    And sweet refreshment find.
  4. His goodness stands approved,
    Unchanged from day to day;
    I'll drop my burden at his feet
    And bear a song away.

No comments:

Post a Comment