Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Pen Pals


Last year I met with Ella's first grade teacher, Mrs. Crow and talked to her about Ella's performance at school.  She mentioned that she is doing so well in all areas, maybe we could challenge her in creative writing.

I thought about that for a while and tried to decide what I could do that would help Ella write, yet not be another "homework chore" for her every night.  Grandma bought her this cute notebook a while back which she decorated so we decided to make that our little Note-book.  I write her a note & draw a picture and she writes me back.  She will leave it on my bed when she is done and I will do the same.  It has become a priceless item as far as I'm concerned.  I love that we have that.

Another idea that came to my mind was to find her a pen pal.  When I was in 3rd grade my teacher assigned us pen pals with another 3rd grader from a nearby school.  The girl I was assigned and I wrote letters to each other for YEARS after and I always loved getting mail so it motivated me to write.  I thought of a good friend I had in high school, Holly Davis, who also has a daughter close to Ella's age so I wrote her and asked her if they would be interested in being pen pals.  We were excited that they agreed to exchange letters and the writing began.   They don't write too often because we want it to be a fun thing, but boy when the letter comes in the mail it is one exciting day!  Especially when cute Brooklyn will send her a quarter or Pokeman card or something.  Ella loves the treasures and has a special Pen Pal Box hidden nicely under her bed where she keeps all the letters.

While we were at Rigby lake a few weeks ago my friend Holly came and talked to me and we introduced the girls.  It was so fun for them to meet in person and play at the lake.

 
I hope this can be the beginning of a life long friendship and also great penmanship practice. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment