Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Journal Junction - My Home

I started these posts in the very beginning of the year and am just now getting around to finishing them.

I thought it would be fun to answer the questions in the church magazine The Friend under Journal Junction.  So there will be a series of Journal Junction posts.

Write about where you live.  How many rooms does your home have?  What color is it?  Who else lives there?  Do you share a bedroom with a sibling?  What does your room look like?  Write about your favorite place to be at home.


Growing up my address was 1778 N 50th E.  I lived in a red brick home on the corner of the street.  We had 5 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.  My bedroom was always across the hall from my parents and my baby sister shared a room with me when she was born.  But eventually we all had our own rooms. 

My mom tried to help me decorate my bedroom to suit me and usually let me decorate however I wanted.  Before we replaced the wall paper in my room she let me draw all over the old wall paper.  I had friends write me notes or draw pictures all over my walls for a few months and it was awesome!  I probably would have just kept it like that, but my mom had some cute white picket fence wall paper all picked out for me.  My room was my sanctuary.  I had a desk and I would sit in there for hours just writing in my journal, writing letters, doing home work, talking on the phone, etc..  My parents SPOILED me rotten and let me get my own phone number to my bedroom so I wouldn't tie up the phone line at the house.  (I think that was the reason)  I used to talk for hours.  Boy ... they were pretty nice to do that.


When I got married, Dustin and I moved to a basement apartment which had 1 bedroom, 1 living room/kitchen and a bathroom.  It was perfect in every way for a young newly wed couple.  Mostly because it only cost us $300 a month to rent.  One of my favorite memories is having Dustin's nephews over for a "farewell" party for his nephew going on a mission and then a New Years Party with the same clan.  We lit fireworks in our back yard.  We decorated with a picture or two on the walls and glow stars on the ceiling. :)  Like I said, perfect for a young newly wed couple.

1 year later we moved to Logan where (with the help of my parents) we snagged a 5 year old mobile home.  I seriously do have THE BEST parents.  Our address was 668 N 500 W.  I fell in love with this house.  It had 2 bathrooms and 2 bedrooms.  The master bathroom was HUGE with a garden tub, 2 sinks and a separate room for the shower & toilet.  The walls were white and we painted the guest bathroom cream.  Many great memories were made there.  Some of my favorites were playing Settlers of Catan, Bang, Pictionary and Rummikub or watching movies and eating popcorn with our good friends Bob & Haley. 
This was one of the many snowmen Dustin built there.  He had a big CTR and shield carved into his chest and had a Santa hat.  One time he built one on the roof and another time when Ella was around we made a colored snowman with food coloring and water in a spray bottle.  He is a pro snowman builder!!

 I dumped cooking oil outside the back porch at that house on the iris plants thinking it would soak up??  Dustin accidentally dumped gasoline on my head and face in the back yard. I had multiple 80+ years old friends that I tried to visit regularly.  I  pushed an old push mower with no drive every week to mow our  lawn.  Ella had her first birthday.   Oh, I loved it!


Now we live in a 5 bedroom, 3 bathroom house at 3273 Skyview Dr.  My bedroom is cream and brown and we have a much smaller master bathroom.  Our house has rock on the outside and tile all throughout the inside with carpet in the bedrooms.  We have almost 1/2 acre so the kids have ample space to run and play.  We have a vegetable garden and I have a new pear tree.  I get tulips in the spring time and get to ride a riding lawn mower every week during the summer.  It is the house I dreamed I would one day have.  I think it is beautiful and I love it.  Numberless memories have been made here with our 3 sweet kiddos and endless more have yet to be made.  

1 comment:

  1. We sure have a lot of fun memories at your Logan home too. Our friends here are not big pictionary fans and it makes us miss you guys even more! We miss our old Logan apartment too, with it's red diner kitchen. Sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete