Tuesday, April 26, 2011

April 17 - Binki Balloon

At Alissa's 12 month appointment the doctor told me to take the binki away by 15-16 months.  I was sure I would be able to do it and haven't really had a problem following advice from my doctors before this.  15 months came along, I was pregnant and I shrugged it off, then 18 months, I just had a newborn and it was a huge part of my sanity, now 2 years and there we were 1 year from the time I was supposed to have it taken away and she still sucks that most fabulous piece of plastic.  We were at a roadshow practice when our doctor showed up for his ward's practice.  He looked down to see my 27 month old "baby" sucking her binki as she is asleep on the gym floor.  I felt so much guilt and finally it drove me to do something about it.

So I started thinking about what I was going to do to say goodbye to the binki.  I've heard numerous stories of how people have done this sort of thing.  So I decided, we will pray for Alissa this weekend and on Monday we will tie it to a helium balloon and for family home evening we will support her in letting her binki go.  It probably sounds pathetic, but it's a big deal for us!  Sunday rolled around and it was a SUPER windy day.  I mentioned out loud that it would be a good day to tie the binki to a balloon and let it go.  When we got home from church I blew up a balloon and let Alissa play with it and throw it out the back door just to make sure it wouldn't get caught in the fence and then have a big ordeal of it.  No mention of the binki was ever made to her.  The balloon swirled around in the yard and then lifted up over the fence and disappeared. 

Later that day I asked Alissa where her binki was she said, "binki in the balloon".  It caught me by suprise because I never mentioned the idea to her, she just overheard me.  I got excited and gave her high five and that is what we would do any time the binki was mentioned over the next week.  It has now been 9 days with no binki and we're coping just fine.  :)  I seriously never thought I would get myself so attached to that dumb yet fabulous piece of plastic.  It served it's purpose that's for sure and I'm glad we finally got rid of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment