Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Our garden and a little bit of canning..

Due to the fact that Lincoln was born March 23rd I didn't do much for planting the garden this year.  I didn't even care what was planted I just knew I wanted a garden.  Dustin worked hard tilling, buying plants and planting them.  He even weeded way more than anybody else did and we had a beautiful garden.  We had our strawberries, pumpkins, watermelon (which didn't get big enough), califlower, kolirabi, peppers, carrots, onions, beans and peas.

I was really happy with the harvest of most of our veggies.  Thanks to a good husband!


Last fall I felt bad cause I had empty jars after a year of plenty of opportunity for produce.  I didn't take advantage of it.  I was determined that wouldn't be the case this year.  My mother in law offered me her neighbors grapes - I ended up with about 41 quarts.  My grandma and aunt offered me green beans - I ended up with about 21 quarts and 6 pints.


I ordered 3 boxes of peaches.  We ended up with 33 quarts.  It was my favorite cause I got to spend some quality time with my girls blanching peaches.  They even had friends come to play and they told them they couldn't cause they wanted to do peaches with their mom.  Made me feel good.  :)





We got 16 quarts of freezer corn which grandma came and helped me do and 5 quart bags of apple pie filling.

We also were able to chop and freeze at least 30 green peppers and a bunch of carrots.  We are still waiting on our tomatoes to ripen so we can do some canned tomatoes so we will see.  

We are thankful for a year of plenty.  It makes me feel so happy this year that I was able to take advantage of a lot of great free or inexpensive produce and for a garden where my kids know they can go and pick and share with others.  It's been such a great experience for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment