Friday, September 14, 2012

Marriage

It was such a good time spending the weekend with Dustin a few weekends ago.  When we got home my eyes were opened again to how busy life with kids is.  It's hard to find time to sit down and talk, uninterrupted talking.  I find myself frustrated in the evening because Dustin is tired from working and wants to rest and I'm tired from being mommy all day and want to DO SOMETHING!  I want help with dishes after dinner and then want him to sit and listen to me talk about the day.  Sounds pathetic when I'm writing it down but it's the truth.

I also think about some conversations I have had recently with friends who stay at home in the evenings with the kids while the husband does other activities - coaches, church callings, etc.  They were saying it was hard sometimes to be supportive because they need him. 

A few nights ago I read this on a blog and thought it was pretty powerful. "We are both working for our family, just in different locales.  It doesn't matter who is working harder or longer.  Marriage is not a contest.  It is a mutual work, for the same purpose, with the same goals."

Made me think about our different roles.  Made me want to be more understanding of the evening veg in front of the TV while I clean up dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment