Monday, June 4, 2012

Doctors Visits

We had a pretty eventful weekend.  Here is a quick summary.. It started Thursday morning when I called to talk to my mom who left for Florida on Tuesday.  I thought I would see how Florida was treating she and my dad.  She quickly informed me that my sister had called her from Rexburg in the middle of the night and was unable to feel the right side of her body and had to go to the ER.  She was going in for an MRI that day at 2pm. 

After calling my siblings to let them know the situation my sister in law volunteered to watch my kids all day while I went to spend the day with my sister.  I headed to Rexburg and woke my sister up at 12:30 since she didn't get back from the hospital until 5:30am and was sent home pretty well medicated.

She was up the night before until 1:30am doing homework and felt her leg go numb and then noticed her handwriting getting sloppy as her hand felt numb.  She got worried and called my mom and while talking to her, half her face went numb and she had a hard time talking and eventually even her vision went blurry.  My mom instructed her to wake her roommate who thankfully is one of her best friends and have her take Heidi to the ER.  Heidi woke her up but was unable to talk to her so she tried to left handed write her a note to say, "I can't talk".  I saw the note she wrote and it is frightening!  I can't imagine the panic she felt.  They did a CT scan on her and took some blood tests, drugged her up and sent her home to sleep.  The next day when I got there we took her for an MRI and had to wait a whole day to get results.  My poor mom was in Florida doing her best to stay calm and avoid jumping on the next plane to come home and take care of her baby girl.

We took her in to the Family Doctor the next day and reviewed the MRI which came back completely normal (THANK HEAVENS!) and they suspect it was caused by a migraine or possibly anxiety or both.  It's really amazing what crazy side effects anxiety can cause your body to go through.  Anyway, she is good and we are grateful! 

I don't love scary situations like this, but I do love watching my family pull together and be so concerned for one another.  My brothers would have done anything for us to make sure my sister was taken care of - at the drop of a hat.  There is truly a bond with family members that cannot be replaced anywhere else.  They are some of the greatest people I know.

The story continues... Friday night my sister stayed at our house and she and I stayed up until 1am visiting.  Alissa woke up at 2am with a fever of 103.7 degrees!  She could not find comfort and said her legs, head, belly and throat hurt.  She cried and moaned and rolled all over the place until I finally decided at 5:30 to take her to Redi Care since I was up.  Once we got to Redi Care she threw up in the waiting room and THANKFULLY I had a gallon ziploc in my bag that I just quickly grabbed for her to throw up in.  I felt a little bad for the receptionist and guy in the waiting room who had to sit and listen to her, but I wasn't about to move in the middle of the ordeal.  For the first time in hours she found comfort and fell asleep on my lap.  They sort of checked her while she was sleeping.  Didn't even look in her throat, just saw her ear looked red so they treated her with antibiotic.  Whatever.. every time I got to the doc I miss our Pediatrician in Logan.  He was the best kid doctor ever.

Dustin's brother was baptizing his son and blessing his 2 sweet girls on Saturday morning at 10, but since I didn't get home until 7am and had a sick child I decided I had better steer clear.  I was so very sad to miss this special occasion though!  I sent my camera with Dustin to take some pictures.  Dustin came home after the baptism and took Molly and Ella to their BBQ and Alissa and I slept the day away.  It was wonderful!  Thankfully after a couple doses of antibiotic her fever is gone and she is back to her busy body self again.

As I went through this crazy weekend I reflected many times on the words of my patriarchal blessing.  "You will recieve happiness because of the physical aspects of your body..."  I am so thankful for health.  I really would be a lousy sick person.  It is hard work to spend so much time in a doctors office or hospital or waiting for results, etc.  I am so grateful for the body I was blessed with.

No comments:

Post a Comment