Monday, January 6, 2014

New Years Resolutions

A review of last years goals:

2013 Goals Attend the temple 12 or more times.  I think we fell short, but not by much.
Read/Listen to the Doctrine & Covenants.  I don't think I even started. 
Do more physical activities individually and as a family.  I felt like we did more during the summer.
Finish 2011 and 2012 Blog Books  Haven't even started.
Continue to build Food Storage - 6 month storage by end of the year.  Yay!  I did pretty well here.  Continued to build food storage.  Not sure the exact amount I have, but it's a bigger amount than last year.

Alissa reading by the end of the year.  Another yay!  
Ella memorize Articles of Faith by baptism.  Nope, thinking of tackling this again though.

I debated whether or not I even wanted to bother with a new year resolution this year.  When I think about the upcoming year all I can think is "SURVIVE!"  It's a bad attitude, I know.  I just seem to be so overwhelmed by things.  However, I read the First Presidency Message today by President Uchtdorf and changed my mind about not setting goals.  He reminded us, "Setting goals is a worthy endeavor. We know that our Heavenly Father has goals because He has told us that His work and glory is “to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man” (Moses 1:39). 

"Another thing we need to remember when it comes to setting goals is this: We almost certainly will fail—at least in the short term. But rather than be discouraged, we can be empowered because this understanding removes the pressure of being perfect right now. It acknowledges from the beginning that at one time or another, we may fall short. Knowing this up front takes away much of the surprise and discouragement of failure.

When we approach our goals this way, failure doesn’t have to limit us. Remember, even if we fail to reach our ultimate, desired destination right away, we will have made progress along the road that will lead to it.
And that matters—it means a lot.
Even though we might fall short of our finish line, just continuing the journey will make us greater than we were before."
So I changed my mind and decided to set a few goals for 2014.
2014 Goals:
Increase personal prayer.
Do initiatory and an endowment once a month until April and then do my best after that.
Be a better mom by spending time teaching, disciplining and rewarding my kids more.
Get at least 1 year blog book done!  (Bonus points for all 3 years)
SURVIVE.

Here were Ella's 2013 Goals:
#1  My goal this year is to be a better piano player.
#2  My goal this year is to make the world a better place to live.
#3  My goal this year is to learn how to make cookies.
#4  My goal this year is to exercise more.
#5  My goal his year is to make better crafts.

It is my opinion that she met every one of these goals.  Good job Ella!

Here are the 2014 goals she wrote by herself:
Try to be nicer to my sisters.
Drink soda on weekends.  (this one makes me laugh)
Try harder in school.
Make one friend a month.
Take two vacations this summer.
Try to practice piano more. (she tried rip this one off before I saw it, but moms are so smart.  I found it and taped it back on her poster.)

No comments:

Post a Comment